Holy Spirit began in 1908 and originally was under the patronage of St Joseph and led by the Sisters of St Joseph. In 1991, the name of the school was changed to Holy Spirit Primary School bringing it in line with the Parish name. It still celebrates and lives its Josephite heritage. The school community treasures its history and the contribution made by the Sisters of St Joseph and the many families of the past who gave so much to maintain the school.
The commitment to Catholic education displayed by the members of the Kurri Kurri Parish, their Parish Priests, the Sisters of St Joseph and lay members of staff over the past 100 years has ensured that the educational foundations laid during the school’s early years have been strengthened and further developed for the benefit of all past and present Holy Spirit students.
At Holy Spirit Primary School, Kurri Kurri, we acknowledge the Awabakal people, upon which our school is built, and pay respect to elders both past and present. These traditional custodians have cared for God’s creation and provided the bounty of our school’s environment. We promote the teaching of a Catholic curriculum. This is a curriculum taught with a Catholic worldview that invites students of all cultures into a dialogue and encounter with Jesus Christ; that leads them to realise the inherent goodness and dignity of all creation. Through the diverse and engaging curriculum, students will receive a holistic Christian education that develops every aspect of their potential, so they can live the motto of ‘peace and justice’. The students and teachers will aim to be more like Jesus and create an environment where Jesus becomes more present and real in their lives.